Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I Unname Them

My last blog was about a sophomore at SCS is my study hall and not about ginger.
I do feel like leaving another though.

I am an avid text messager. I go heavily into the thousands each month. I do meet new people through text messaging as odd as it sounds. The first thing someone asks you when you send them a text and they do not know who you are is "who are you."

The very first thing they want is a name. They never ask for your political stance or your beliefs. Never how you feel about child abuse and abortion. It is your name. Out of every single thing to ask a stranger you ask for their identity. This is for an unlimited about of reasons but I will say 2. They need something to associate with or they do not like being in the unknown.

Let us go over the first. We love names. Names is what we categorize by. My phone book is organized by names. Not this is my best friend and this person is crass but their name. Names carry so much though. If I walked into a soda bar and asked for a drink and I never said my name it would not mean anything. I would be a stranger. Anything you hear from me is fine and your life is the same. If I went into that same soda bar and said my name was George Bush the whole thing changes. Now you have questions for me or complaints. The whole difference is my name is associated with something else.

If we did not have names it would be easy to start again as people say. You could go from place to place and you would start from scratch with every new person you meet. People are more focused on our names that they ignore anything else about us.

This blog is because in physiology tuesday I began texting a new person and she only cared about my name and would not talk to me unless I told her my name. I told her about how my dog died when I was 15. That event of my dog dying was one of the top 5 things that formed my mentality and such. She did not care though because she did not know my name. We are so focused on names and everything that comes with them that we ignore what does not involve the name.

The part about us not liking the unknown is fairly straight forward. We like knowing the name but this is also an extremely deep topic that I will speak of in the future.

Do not tell me your name. Tell me who you are. When you die your grave will give me your name so I do not want it until then.

No comments: