Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Why Do We Write?

It has been brought to my attention that I write too much. So why do we write at all?

Are we writing to the piece or to the audience?
I cant help and think that Marx wrote to himself and that Mein Kamf was to pass the time but really I do not think changing the world was the authors intention. I think they wrote to you. I do not mean you as in whoever you are. I do not know who reads this. I do not know who will ever read it. "You" are the one person that reads the piece and can understand or relate. You are the person sitting in the front seat of the auditorium while someone practices the piano. You are the reason people write. Yes people do write to help themselves by getting their feelings on paper. Yes people write for money and some write for a bigger purpose. I know I write for you. I imagine Hitler and Marx wrote for you. You. The one person that might listen. You do not have to agree or believe it but you are the one person that reads it and for you we write.

One thing I did not like about today was how people asked questions to the Bible guild but they used their own personal conflict with one person on the board into it. Do not bring your own personal disputes into a public place.
One thing I did wish though was that the guild fighting each other. There was 1 Calvinist 2 Arminians and 1 nondenominational that seemed lost. The Calvinist was by far the wisest. By no means did he agree completely with the other 3. I think it would have been beautiful to see everyone turn and to see this argument among them. All their knowledge battling each other. Attack, attack, rebutle, attack. Debates are chess but more like war.
It was in this personal grievance that I think I know what I wish blogs were. I wish this medium of writing was conducted. You have the piece. The readers can be critics and comments are the place to say how I am wrong. I actually enjoy being told I am wrong. I get really angry. Very angry and it is in that anger that one has 2 choices: defend yourself and prove you are right or stand corrected. It is a great feeling to need a defense or submit.
Write with controversy. Write with the words you wish you could say in person but never could.
Do not write a text message or something someone already knows. If your audience knows what you are going to say it might not be worth writing. Write about that thing that you only know. In person you feel like you would need 200 words to describe an apple and you have always wanted to describe an apple. The blog can be that place to say the things you could not put into words. Do not say things most people already know but describe that apple that only you know about. If you can text it it probably isnt worth publishing. It might take someone 500 words and some 1000 to say what they want and it is fine. As long as you have the idea and the finger strength you have the audience but nobody wants to hear what they already know.

Do mind that this is directed at this people that blog outside of assignments. Assignment blogs and these kinds of things are separate things.

No comments: