Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pictures are Worth 20% off with a Sears Discount

I finally got my senior pictures taken. I procrastinated like none other.

I wanted to get something taken like my early year pictures. I got my kindergarten picture taken on a slide and I was in my green corduroys that I liked so much. I got my Pre K picture taken on a train. They were adorable looking back on them. Theyre those pictures that you want your parents to show people. I am not being conceited but rather proud that I once has an adorable smile and now you think that you look odd.

That is how I began my academic life. On a train.

I wanted to leave my academic life on that same train. I went to walmart and Sears and they do not have a train. What Sears did have was an odd photographer and did not care what people wanted to do. I mean this as in he was not a photographer that says do this or that but rather gave a suggestion or told you how to do what was in your head. He let me bring my youth into my senior.

I took 9 pictures. 9 hilarious pictures. well 7 hilarious and 2 cute. 1 of the hilarious is down right epicly hilariously amazingly funny.

I came in on a train and im leaving with a lamb in a bath tub.

everyone takes pictures of people with a backdrop or people in a sweater and a romantic scenery. Its boring! why do we all have to have the same picture style? Maybe just Maybe someone wants to do something different.

My mother does not like them. She was raised when girls wore dresses and guys wore suits in their senior photo. She completely hates them. My dad is indifferent. My sister thinks theyre hilarious. My sisters friend's mom hates them.

I can see Johnson kinda maybe liking them. I can see faculty hating them. I can see students thinking theyre epic. I think if you look at them creatively its cool. I think if you think of them as dissrespectful you are missing the point.

Let us look at a movie named Patch Adams. Let us look at his graduation. Everyone is finely dressed and its so formal and proper and yep. BUUTT Patch walks in with a patients gown with no pack and moons everyone. I remember it being funny as a really little kid. It is so out of place it can be taken offensively or funny.

My dad said if i can live with showing my kids that when im 40 then its fine.
I can easily do that.

I do not want to show my kid a picture of me and then 72 pictures just like them. "gee dad, youre quite the conformist."

I want to be that "gee dad, you might as well have worn a patients gown"

I am serious. I have given up most of my humor for seriousness. I do not want to be remembered as serious all the time. I want to be remembered as imaginative.

That is what i was going for.

Although I may be 13 years older, I still will ride that train. I am not too cool for a train.